How important is the checkout experience with alternative payments?

  • One thing I’ve noticed while shopping online is that I’m much more likely to finish an order when the payment process is straightforward. If I have to jump between several pages or figure out complicated instructions, I usually give up. That made me think about cryptocurrency payments and whether they can be integrated without making the checkout more difficult. We’re considering adding another payment option to our store, but customer experience is probably more important to us than simply having another logo on the payment page. How would you evaluate the usability of a crypto payment option before introducing it?

  • I’d actually go through the checkout myself as if I were a first-time customer. Check how the payment option is presented, whether the instructions are understandable, how the transaction status is displayed and what happens if something goes wrong. You can find general information at https://www.sheepy.com/e-commerce and then compare the practical details with the documentation of specific payment providers. I’d also test the process on both desktop and mobile, because a checkout that works nicely on one device may feel awkward on another. Another useful test is asking someone who isn’t familiar with crypto to complete a test payment. If they can follow the instructions without needing help, that tells you quite a lot about the overall usability.